Friday, November 15, 2013

International student Otiotio shares his perspective on the LLM Program at University of Tulsa

  1. How did you hear about TU? How did you decide to go here for your LLM?
    I heard about TU from the LSAC. I actually applied for admission to four Law Schools through LSAC, and was offered admission by all, but I chose TU because of the energy law concentration program.
  2. As an international law student, how were you received by the TU community?  What was one thing you had to get used to when you first arrived?
    The faculty and students of the College of Law were amazing. I was warmly received in the University community, and I felt like I have been at TU for a long time. As an international student I had to get used to the weather, and I had to read about the US legal system, and research method to enable me follow what is been taught in class.
  3. What is your opinion of the faculty at TU?
    I have a very high opinion about the faculty at TU College of Law. They are accomplished, internationally recognized scholars and professionals who dedicate their time to preparing students for an outstanding legal career. They had a good rapport with the students and are always available to attend to students.
  4. What kind of energy-related classes did you take at TU? How did they influence you/your legal education?
    I took Basic Oil and Gas Law, Advance Oil and Gas Law, International Energy Law, Water Law, and International Environmental Law. These courses have prepared me to have a specialized knowledge on complex legal issues relating to energy around the world.  I now have a concrete understanding of the theory, practice and advocacy of global energy and environmental law issues.
  5. What are your professional aspirations now that you have your TU LLM?
    I intend to further my education by doing a PHD or SJD in Energy Law.
  6. Is there anything else you want to say to prospective foreign LLMs interested in energy law at TU?
    I will recommend the program to any student who is interested in energy law. But prospective foreign students should know that even though they are lawyers, they are attending school in a different jurisdiction with a different legal system. Therefore they should be ready to adapt to the new system and learn from the faculty as well as other students. In that way they are bound to succeed. It is very important for students to prepare ahead of class so as to fully participate in class.

1 comment:

  1. The University of Tulsa sounds like one of the best universities to grab myself a decent LLM. I have been looking into many schools, but right now I'm really interested in UT because of their LLM.

    ReplyDelete