Monday, October 12, 2015

UC Davis School of Law Welcomes Outstanding LL.M. Class

UC Davis School of Law Welcomes Outstanding LL.M. Class

This fall, UC Davis School of Law welcomed its largest LL.M. class to date.  With 65 students, this year's LL.M. class is the most diverse class yet to study at King Hall. Among the LL.M. students are lawyers, judges and prosecutors from 13 countries including Argentina, Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Jose Flavio Araujo Filho (of Brazil) is studying international law and U.S. business and corporate law. "I like the challenge of being back in school and of learning in a different education system," says Filho.   Arriving at the law school to begin legal studies in another language and culture can often be a big challenge.  His LL.M. classmate, Jaemin Youn (South Korea), who is studying U.S. and international business law, joined the Big Sib Little Sib program offered through the King Hall Law Students Association, which partners JD students with LL.M. students. 
Youn loves her classes in business law and the exceptional quality of her educational experience from top scholars. "I also like my JD ‘Big Sib,' who has been meeting with me once each week. She's very helpful and has shown me many ways to become involved in the King Hall community!"
"I haven't yet decided my favorite thing about the LL.M. program here," says Evelyn (Xuanye) Wang (China). "I love that Associate Dean Greenwood helps us choose what will best improve our career and our knowledge. Academically, I have been surprised by how much the professors care about the students. They always open their office doors, and we are welcome to drop by with questions. It's great!"
Wang, who is studying intellectual property, is energized by all the extracurricular activities at the School of Law. "Last week was International Law Week, and this week is about negotiations. The Law School brings excellent guest speakers and lecturers. There are many associations students can join to become more involved."
Nyi Mas Gianti Bingah Erbiana (Indonesia), who's studying international business, investment, and corporate law, agrees with Wang that "it's not just about the academics here. It's about learning through other cultures, too. I love it that at UC Davis, the LL.M.s are integrated with the JD students. I like getting the point of view of people who are actually living in the U.S. It challenges me, since English is not my native language, but I love it. I chose to study in the U.S. because it is a place where you can freely share and discuss your ideas." 
Associate Dean Beth Greenwood is delighted to welcome this year's class. "The LL.M. program at the UC Davis School of Law continues to grow in stature and academic richness. We are thrilled to host such a diverse class of top LL.M. students for a year of intense study, and the faculty and I look forward to remaining connected to these exceptionally dedicated students long after graduation."

For more information about the International Commercial Law LL.M. and other International Law Programs, please visit law.ucdavis.edu/international or contact Kate Asche at internationallaw@ucdavis.edu or 530-757-8569.





1 comment:

  1. Recently, my friend Dena told me about the UC Davis school of law. So I searched about it and came here, and I think I came to the right place. UC Davis seems to be the perfect school for law if you are non-US and wanna go US for higher law studies.

    ReplyDelete